6.1 C

Fire breaks out at Davenport furniture store’s loading dock

DAVENPORT, Iowa — A Davenport furniture store saw a fire break out in its loading dock in the afternoon of Tuesday, December 15.

The Davenport Fire Department was dispatched to Simply Amish Furniture in the 3700 block of N Harrison Street just after 1:30 p.m.

Early reports said that the fire broke out in the business’s loading dock, and grew to a large size.  This was confirmed by Fire Chief Mike Carlsten.

Pictures from the scene suggest that the crews, consisting of three fire engines, were able to get the fire under control within the span of an hour.

According to a statement from Chief Carlsten, crews “began an aggressive exterior attack on the fire” and had to cut ventilation holes in the roof.

There was heavy smoke and fire damage to the one-story building, which has a large showroom.  There was also significant damage to the contents inside.

There were no reported injuries.

Traffic was temporarily diverted to one lane going south on 61 around 3 p.m., just in front of store.  Traffic is now flowing normally.

Latest Articles