IOWA – According to the statement, the local public health officials have already initiated contact with the individual that tested positive to understand exposures and begin the health monitoring process, including notifying anyone the individual had close contact with.
The Iowa Department of Public Health officials say they are still learning about the characteristics of the Brazilian strain, including any potential impact on vaccine effectiveness.
This case was identified by the State Hygienic Lab, which is working to identify what COVID strains are circulating in Iowa.
It remains critical for Iowans to follow the CDC guidelines:
- Wear a mask or face covering
- Practice social distancing with those outside your household
- Clean your hands frequently with soap and water
- Stay home if you feel sick
- Get tested if you are exposed to, or have symptoms of COVID-19
- Get a COVID-19 vaccine when one is offered to you